How Kountermove's Fantasy MMA Works.
What People Are Saying:
Brian Hemminger (@gotahemmi) of MMAMania.com had this to say about his experience on Kountermove, "Kountermove goes above and beyond the current MMA fantasy options. It forces you to take a deeper look at every match up, strategically pick the most viable upsets and not only pick who you think will win, but how badly. With real time updating of statistics and points, Kountermove kept me on my toes until the final fight of the night."
Damon Martin (@damonmartin), host of MMAWeekly Radio had this to add, “Kountermove added a really cool experience to UFC 141. It was fun watching every fight and as an added bonus the results helped get my Kountermove team closer and closer to a victory. Best part is, I won some money and got a few bragging rights as well. Great experience and I will be back to claim the title.”
1) Pick a Game: You will simultaneously select (1) the “Entry Fee”, from a choice of free games or various cash games, and (2) the size of the opponent pool you wish to play in.
2) Draft Your Team of Fighters: You then draft a team of 5 fighters, under a salary cap of $25,000 in fake money. You may edit your team of fighters at any time right up until the first preliminary bout of the event begins.
3) Score points and win cash (or play for free!):
Kountermove determines a fighter’s fantasy score as follows. A first-round win (by knockout, submission, DQ, or other) earns 100 points, second-round win earns 75 points, and third, fourth, or fifth-round wins, again by knockout, submission, DQ, or other, earn 50 points. Rounds won (win-by-decision fights only, two out of three judges required) earn 10 points each*.
In addition, fighters earn fantasy points for Significant Strikes Landed (.5 points each), Takedowns/Reversals (2 points each), Submission Attempts (3 points each), Knockdowns (3 points each), and Dominant Positions (2 points each). Like other fantasy sites, Kountermove awards zero points to players who draft a fighter who scratches or an entire fight that scratches because of injury, illness, or any other reason. Decisions and points are final in the cage - scoring is based only on the final call, during the event, in the cage.
Please Note: As of 03/15/12 Kountermove players can enter more than one team in a game of more than 20 players. To add an additional team, return to the homepage, select the same game, and select another team.
If a fighter is injured before the scheduled fight and a new opponent is chosen, Kountermove will replace the injured fighter with a new fighter as soon as Kountermove is aware of the fight change. If a fighter is injured and replaced and Kountermove is made aware of the change within 24 hours of the scheduled fight time, Kountermove will not replace the injured fighter.
Here are two examples of fantasy scores from UFC® 139:
We would like to thank our partner FightMetric LLC for being our primary, third-party provider of results and statistics for each event. In cases where results are not available through FightMetric the same night of the event (this sometimes occurs for preliminary fights), Kountermove also uses BA Stats LLC as a stats provider.
*Round points are scored based on the totality of the judges' socres rather than individual rounds.
4) Prize Pool Distribution: The overall prize pool is pre-determined for each game. The prize pool amount is noted on the homepage where you select a game to play ("Live Games Now").
If you hover-over the prize pool amount on the homepage or draft page, the distribution of prizes is displayed as well. The prize pools are distributed by either: 1) winner takes all, 2) top 3 gets paid (equal amounts), or 3) top 1/3 of all players get paid (equal amounts). Tournaments may have custom pay outs in terms of prize pool distribution. In the event of a tie, the prize for that place is divided evenly between the tied players.
Here's an example of a ten-player game in which the top three places paid out:
5) How do I withdraw money? You can withdraw your money at any time. Simply click on the Withdraw button on your My Account page and enter the amount you wish to withdraw. We'll then transfer the money to you via PayPal. All withdrawal requests will be processed within 72 hours. We do conduct anti-fraud checks on playing patterns and deposits prior to approving a withdrawal. For withdrawals of $250 or more we also offer withdrawal by check. For withdrawals over $600 we require a valid mailing address and social security number in order to file the appropriate tax forms at year end.
6) Who are you?
Kountermove is the world’s leading fantasy MMA website — a service that is fun, friendly, fair, and legal. Kountermove is the first MMA fantasy site where users compete for real cash prize pools by drafting teams of fighters in salary cap games.
Kountermove is great entertainment. Beyond that, it also provides a compelling platform for interaction between fighters and fans. Fantasy MMA is especially powerful for new and up-and-coming fighters because it drives broader name recognition and a deeper-level of engagement with fans. MMA fans discover new fighters by playing fantasy games and then become invested — literally — in each fighter on their team.
Randy "The Natural" Couture. Kountermove is honored to have the backing of Randy "The Natural" Couture and Xtreme Couture Management as part owners and strategic partners. Hall of Famer Randy Couture is a five-time UFC champion — the only UFC fighter to ever win both the UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight titles.
Our Team. Today, Kountermove has a team of 12 people working world-wide. Aaron Ard, aka the "Bobby Fischer of MMA", leads day-to-day product development, operations, and marketing. Kountermove was founded in April, 2009.
How to contact us:
By Email: email@example.com
860 Geary St.
San Francisco CA 94109